thi week I decided to discover an ancient way. First documentation about it date back to the IX century, but the most famous tale about it was made from Bishop of Canterbury Sinergico in the X century. I am speaking about Via Francigena, that starts from Canterbury and arrives at Rome, the Eternal City.
Between Parma and Piacenza there are a lot so paths that go along the Via Francigena; you can walk along it or you can go thought car, some parts of it are difficult and you have to walk along streets where car pass.
I decited to start from Chiaravalle della Colomba, that was founded by S. Bernardo from Chiaravalle arount the 1135. The first document that metions the Abbey is dated 1136.
The monastery was ofter pray of radis mainly by armies that wanted to claim the territory around. For example a lot of monks were killed after the the looting and the burining of 1248 perpetrated by Frederik II of Svevia.
But during the 1937 only a monk remained there, his name was don Guglielmo Bertuzzi who conviced the bishop of Piacenza to bink back other monks.
The most important liturgical feast is during the Corpus Domini, during which a big carpet of petals is build and it starts from the entrance of the curch and arrives to the presbitery of the abbey.
I will go back to the abbey during Corpus Domini, so I will do some photos to show you the famous carpet.
With love
Sigyn
Things to visit in Chiaravalle: Abbey and cloister
Where to sleep: Palazzo della Commenda
Where to eat: there are some restaurants around
What to eat: coppa, salame and cakes


0 comments:
Post a Comment